Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fails of DIY

I've never been especially craft. My art was usually limited to stick figures and could never master the art block letter. I was unbelievably proud of myself for painting my sorority Little's wooden paddle and letters (and Im still pretty sure they didn't turn out too well).

My level of artist abilities:



But, these days so many brides DIY, well everything. Thankfully, I have a budget that allows me not to have DIY for things like flowers, invitations, save the dates, etc.

I've come to the point in wedding planning that I like to the call the "details." These are the things that probably no one notices that much, but I will cry my out my wedding morning if they aren't all in place. These are things like the out of town welcome letter, the programs, the menu, I Spy game card, the list go on and on.

It seems silly to me to pay someone to create these and print them when I am fully capable to working a computer. But, then comes the real DIY part, the putting the programs together, the gluing, making sure everything is centered. Maybe I will fail at that too.

DIY always sounds great, but after I'm done it stresses me out. I never feel like its good enough!



I started a DIY project last week. I wanted to make bags for my bridesmaids. The doily part turned out very well, but well I came to the letters (I didn't know how to trace on to a bag) I'm fairly confident I ruined the bag! I will probably now be ordering bags for them

 I purchased tanks from Wet Seal to iron on rhinestone BM and MOH letters, but then I found a huge sale and with my lack of DIY skills I could not pass up buying them.



So, now I have 8 black tanks tops and the ugliest DIY bags I've ever seen.

Anyone have DIY problems or great successes? Do you have any tips for making programs, menus, out of town letters?

2 comments:

  1. I think the bags look great from your picture on weddingbee! I got my bridesmaid totes from VistaPrint...and as you know they are ALWAYS having a sale. Plus, the more you purchase the less each one costs. You could get one with each letter and then do your AWESOME doily technique around the letter? Just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness i wish those were my bags. That's just where I got the idea. haha

      Im sort of scared to post pictures of mine!

      I found some on ebay that were $4.90 each with an initial! I might buy those. Doubt I'd find a better deal

      Delete